A recent study by TransUnion revealed that millennials pay medical expenses at a lower rate than Gen X or baby boomers. The study did a comparison of credit data and it revealed five key findings.
- Millennials use fewer credit cards than Gen X consumers. In fact, their use of private label cards is 23 percent lower than Gen X consumers, while their usage of bankcards is 22 percent lower.
- Millennials prefer to make every day purchases using cash and debit cards, according to TransUnion.
- When it comes to credit cards, subprime millennials carry a serious delinquency rate of 23 percent, which is lower than the Gen X rate of 28 percent.
- Millennials tend to pay medical bills at a slower pace compared to other generations, according to TransUnion. The study found 74 percent of millennials did not pay their medical bills in full in 2016, a 6 percent increase from 2015. That compares to 68 percent for Gen X consumers and 60 percent for baby boomers.
- Millennials’ slower rate of paying medical bills is occurring in a healthcare environment where patients are taking on more financial responsibility for their care. The study found healthcare provider revenue collected directly from patients increased from less than 10 percent to more than 30 percent over the last 10 years.
Click here to read more on this story.
Those who have experienced illness or injury and found themselves overwhelmed with medical debt should contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney. In bankruptcy, medical bills are considered general unsecured debts just like credit cards. This means that medical bills do not receive priority treatment and can easily be discharged in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy laws were created to help people resolve overwhelming debt and gain a fresh financial start. Bankruptcy attorney Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade Garcia McMaken, P.A. has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade Garcia McMaken website at www.miamibankruptcy.com