Archive for: ‘February 2010’

Bankruptcy Filing & Student Loan Exemption

February 27, 2010 Posted by kingcade

In my practice I have seen an increase in bankruptcy filings among college and graduate school educated individuals.  As a result of a 2005 law no longer discharging private student loans, many of my clients have been asking if there is a loophole in the law.  When it comes to discharging student loans, unless you can show that your loan payment is an “undue hardship” on you, your family, and your dependents, your student loans are ineligible for cancellation in bankruptcy. 

“Undue hardship” is difficult to prove unless you are physically unable to work and there is no chance of you making money.  To discharge your student loans under this exemption, you must file a separate motion with the bankruptcy court and present your situation before a judge.  People who are unable to pay their debts may file for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 of the federal bankruptcy code.  This allows the court to “erase” your bills and have a fresh start financially.

If you have any questions on the topic of student loans as they relate to your bankruptcy filing please feel free to contact me at (305) 285-9100. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. Web site at

– Timothy Kingcade

What happens to my car loan after I file for bankruptcy?

February 27, 2010 Posted by kingcade

In Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases, cars are hard to redeem since the law now requires paying the lender the retail replacement value of the car. That value is generally higher than the private sale value that was used under the prior law. It remains possible for a debtor to surrender a car when keeping up the payments is impossible.  Under Chapter 13, debtors must repay the entire car loan if they bought a car within 910 days of the bankruptcy filing. For example, if you had an outstanding balance of $6,000 on a car loan whose blue book value was only $4,000, you would be required to pay the entire $6,000 balance if the car was purchased less than 30 months of filing.

The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA) of 2005 creates a formal way to assume a personal property lease, such as a car lease, in a Chapter 7 case. The lease will be deemed rejected if the case trustee fails to assume it within 60 days after filing. At that point, the debtor may notify the creditor that the debtor wishes to assume the lease. The creditor may, at its option, notify the debtor that it is willing to have the lease assumed and may condition the assumption on cure of any outstanding default. The debtor then has 30 days after the creditor’s notice to send a further notice that the lease is assumed.

If you have any questions on the topic of car loans as they relate to your bankruptcy filing please feel free to contact me at (305) 285-9100. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. Web site at

Timothy Kingcade

Bankruptcy Filing Advice

February 8, 2010 Posted by kingcade

Bankruptcy filing is at an all time high and many people are having a tough time understanding some of the recent bankruptcy rules and how they can affect their filing. It is important that you retain a lawyer with significant experience in bankruptcy law who can answer your questions and clearly explain to you what your options are. Before making a decision to file bankruptcy, you should know that not all of your debts will be discharged by the court. Tax debts, college/graduate school loans and child support are some of the non-dischargeable debts.

While bankruptcy leaves a poor mark on your credit report for several years, it should not discourage you from filing. Usually, you can obtain new credit if you show proof that your financial situation has improved and you have been consistently employed with the same company for at least two years.

A common bankruptcy advice tip when it comes to credit repair is to check your credit report for errors. You are entitled to receive one free credit report per year from Equifax, Experian or Transunion. You can write, call toll-free or visit the Web sites of these companies to order your free credit report.

Once you have your credit report, review the information carefully. Check your personal information, account and credit payment information to make sure everything is accurate. If there are any discrepancies, inform the credit company in writing requesting the information be corrected, and make copies of these documents to back up your claims.

There are reputable financial institutions that are willing to help you restore your credit. Shop around, compare your options and be patient in your search. You can get information on the general terms of bankruptcy and credit cards by simply inquiring with the different companies. Note that too many credit applications and credit checks will lower your credit score significantly.

Filing for bankruptcy is emotionally and mentally stressful. A good bankruptcy attorney will help you navigate through the legal process, and provide you with immediate debt relief and valuable information, along with services and advice to help get you back on your feet financially. At Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. our attorneys have devoted their careers to helping clients with their problems and take extreme pride in the results achieved for them through Chapter 7 bankruptcy and foreclosure defense cases. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment now. We offer free office consultations and will listen to you, evaluate your individual situation, and take immediate action to help you get the relief you need.

Please feel free to contact me at (305) 285-9100. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. Web site at

timothy kingcade