Posts Tagged: ‘Florida H.B. 471’

Florida House Bill Would Expand Lienholders’ Rights in Foreclosure Cases

January 25, 2017 Posted by kingcade

A bill filed this week in the Florida House, would expand the rights of lienholders in foreclosure actions.  Florida H.B. 471, proposed by State Senator Jay Fant, “Authorizes certain lienholders to use certain documents as admission in action to foreclose mortgage; provides that submission of certain documents in foreclosure action creates certain presumptions; authorizes lienholder to make request for judicial notice,” according to the language of the bill.

The bill authorizes a lienholder to use any documents from the mortgagee’s bankruptcy case that indicates an intention by the defendant to surrender the property. If the defendant does not withdraw the document in question, that document submitted along with a bankruptcy discharge, “creates a rebuttable presumption that the defendant has: 1. Surrendered to the lienholder the defendant’s interest in the mortgaged property; and 2. Waived any defenses to the foreclosure.”

The defendant’s legal remedy in such a case includes: “raising a defense based upon the lienholder’s conduct subsequent to the filing of the document filed in the bankruptcy case that evidenced the defendant’s intention to surrender the mortgaged property to the lienholder.”

The bill was filed with the Florida House on January 24, and would go into effect on July 1, 2017, if it passes.

Choosing the right attorney can make the difference between whether or not you can keep your home. A well-qualified Miami foreclosure defense attorney will not only help you keep your home, but they will be able to negotiate a loan that has payments you can afford. Miami foreclosure defense attorney Timothy Kingcade has helped many facing foreclosure alleviate their stress by letting them stay in their homes for at least another year, allowing them to re-organize their lives. If you have any questions on the topic of foreclosure please feel free to contact me at (305) 285-9100. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia website at

Related Resources: