After struggling with unmanageable debt and harassing collection calls for too long, you have finally considered bankruptcy as an option. But what should you look for in a bankruptcy attorney? Do not simply choose your attorney from an advertisement. Filing for bankruptcy is a serious decision and should not be entered into lightly.
Make sure your bankruptcy attorney possesses the following qualities:
1. Experience matters. Do your research. Visit your state bar’s website and see how many years the attorney has been practicing bankruptcy law, how much of their business is devoted to this practice area and whether or not the attorney has been peer reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell. These types of credentials provide you with assurance that the attorney has practical knowledge and experience in the area of bankruptcy law.
2. Passion and professionalism. Find out why your attorney chose to practice in this area of law. Many lawyers find this work especially rewarding and this should be apparent in your initial consultation with the attorney. If you feel like “just another number” at the firm, keep looking.
3. They listen to you. For most people, filing for bankruptcy is oftentimes an emotional and sometimes painful process. You will not only want your attorney to have the proper credentials, but also be empathetic to your situation and take the time to listen and address all of your concerns throughout the process.
4. Cheaper is not always better. Would you have a medical procedure done by the cheapest doctor? Probably not. You would likely want the most experienced doctor. Take this same approach when it comes to hiring a bankruptcy attorney. Avoid ultra-low-cost bankruptcy mills that advertise heavily. These type firms usually have a small number of attorneys and a large number of legal assistants. If unforeseen problems arise in your case, you could be in trouble. There can be serious consequences for hiring the wrong attorney and it can cost you far more than what you thought you could save in the first place.
5. Discuss alternatives. Bankruptcy is not for everyone. A complete cancellation of eligible debts may not be the best option. An ethical attorney will present you with all of your options and help you determine whether bankruptcy is the right option for you.
If you are in a financial crisis and are considering filing bankruptcy, contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney who can advise you of all of your options. As an experienced CPA as well as a proven bankruptcy lawyer, Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia website at www.miamibankruptcy.com.