Are you considering filing for bankruptcy? Before you sit down with an experienced and qualified bankruptcy attorney, there are several important documents you need to bring with you. If you decide bankruptcy is the best option for you, your attorney will thoroughly review your financial background. Additional documentation will be required by your attorney to determine the type of bankruptcy you should file.
The following documents are needed when you first meet with your bankruptcy attorney:
• Financial Documentation. Wage statements, tax returns, bank account statements and large purchase receipts.
• Creditor Information. A list of credit accounts, account numbers, the amounts you owe and their contact information.
• Loan documentation. Any mortgages and outstanding loans you may have, such as: car loans, business loans, etc.
• Real Estate documentation. Forms and information pertaining to any property you may own or rent.
• Personal Property Documentation. Any major personal property items like vehicles, boats, valuable jewelry, electronic items, appliances or other items that could be repossessed.
• A list of any personal questions you may have for your attorney.
If you are a business filing for bankruptcy, additional documentation will be required such as company reports, financial statements, budget reports, and company property information.
While it is best to be as prepared as possible, if you are unable to obtain all of these documents, do not worry. You will be provided with adequate time to contact your banks, lenders and creditors to obtain the necessary documentation for your bankruptcy proceeding. It is important to be open and honest with your bankruptcy attorney to prevent possible fraud or being accused of “hiding” assets. By providing all necessary documentation and working closely with your attorney, you will help ensure that the bankruptcy process runs as smoothly as possible.
If you are in a financial crisis and are considering filing bankruptcy, contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney who can advise you of all of your options. As an experienced CPA as well as a proven bankruptcy lawyer, Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia website at www.miamibankruptcy.com.