Deciding to file for bankruptcy is never an easy decision, but those who emerge from it are often thankful for a fresh financial start and the opportunity to rebuild their finances.
Before you sit down with an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney, there are several important documents you need to bring with you.
- Outstanding Debts and a List of Assets. The most important documents to bring to your initial bankruptcy consultation are a list of your outstanding debts and a list of your assets (i.e. – major assets, such as homes, cars, boats, trailers, time shares, etc.)
- Financial Documentation. Wage statements, a recent pay stub, tax returns, bank account statements and any large purchase receipts.
- Budget. A rough budget of your household’s income and expenses.
- Creditor Information. A list of credit accounts, account numbers, the amounts you owe and their contact information.
- Loan documentation. Any mortgages and outstanding loans you may have, such as: car loans, personal loans, etc.
- Real Estate documentation. Forms and information pertaining to any property you may own or rent.
- Personal Property Documentation. Any major personal property items like vehicles, boats, valuable jewelry, electronic items, appliances or other items that could be repossessed.
- Questions. A list of any personal questions you may have for your attorney.
While it is best to be as prepared as possible, if you are unable to obtain all of these documents, do not worry. You will be provided with adequate time to contact your banks, lenders and creditors to obtain the necessary documentation for your bankruptcy proceeding. It is important to be open and honest with your bankruptcy attorney to prevent possible bankruptcy fraud or being accused of “hiding” assets. By providing all necessary documentation and working closely with your attorney, you will help ensure the bankruptcy process runs smoothly.
If you are in a financial crisis and are considering filing bankruptcy, contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney who can advise you of all of your options. As an experienced CPA as well as a proven bankruptcy lawyer, Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade Garcia McMaken, P.A. has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade Garcia McMaken website at www.miamibankruptcy.com.