Nearly three out of four millennials in the U.S. are in debt and according to a new poll credit card debt is the most prevalent type of debt among the group- not student loan debt.
A quarter of millennials — those 18 to 34 years old — are more than $30,000 in debt, including 11 percent who are over $100,000 in debt.
Debt has resulted in savings taking a backseat for many millennials and has caused a third, or 34 percent, to hold off on buying a home. Debt has also affected the millennial generation family structure. Fourteen percent of millenials have delayed marriage due to their debt and 16 percent have postponed having children.
Here are some additional findings from the NBC News/GenForward survey:
- Sixty-two percent of millennials owe more in debt, than they have in a personal savings account
- Three in 10 millennials have less than $1,000 in their personal savings, and only 1 percent have over $100,000 saved.
- A quarter, 24 percent of millennials, have no personal savings.
- Two-thirds of millennials, or 67 percent, said they would have difficulty paying an unexpected bill of $1,000 right away.
- Credit card debt is the most prevalent type of debt among the group, while just two in 10 millennials say they have a mortgage or home loan.
- Only 22 percent of millennials are debt free.
- Fourteen percent of millennials have delayed getting married due to debt, and 16 percent have delayed having children.
- Debt has caused a third of all millennials, or 34 percent, to hold off on buying a home and 31 percent to delay saving for retirement.
Click here to read more on this story.
If you are in financial crisis and considering filing for bankruptcy, contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney who can advise you of all of your options. As an experienced CPA as well as a proven bankruptcy lawyer, Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade Garcia McMaken has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade Garcia McMaken website at www.miamibankruptcy.com.