Bankruptcy Law, Credit, Timothy Kingcade Posts

Following Obama’s Lead, Democrats Propose Bill to Relieve Student Loan Debt

President Obama addressed the growing problem of student loan debt in a speech he gave on Tuesday at Georgia Tech. He spoke about his plans to make it easier for students to eliminate some of their student loan debt through bankruptcy. Two days later, thirteen democrats in the Senate introduced a bill backing the President’s plans called the “Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2015.” The bill will treat student loans issued by private lenders the same as other types of private unsecured debt in bankruptcy. Changes made to the federal bankruptcy code in 2005 made it nearly impossible for struggling students to discharge their student loan debt.

Private student loans make up only 10% of all student loans. The other 90% are loans issued by the federal government. If the bill is passed, it would only account for the 10%. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimates that there is $165 billion that stems from private student loans and approximately $1.2 trillion in total student loan debt.

President Obama and the Senate are targeting private student loans due to their high interest rates, lack of consumer protection and inflexible repayment options. The bill is the White House’s latest attempt to address the rapid increase in student loan debt in America. Plans have also been set up for borrowers to file complaints against loan servicers.

Click here to read more on the story:

For borrowers who are struggling with student loan debt, relief options are available. Many student loan borrowers are unaware that they have rights and repayment options available to them, such as postponement of loan payments, reduction of payments or even a complete discharge of the debt. It is important you contact an experienced Miami bankruptcy attorney who can advise you of all of your options. As an experienced CPA as well as a proven bankruptcy lawyer, Timothy Kingcade knows how to help clients take full advantage of the bankruptcy laws to protect their assets and get successful results. Since 1996 Kingcade & Garcia, P.A. has been helping people from all walks of life build a better tomorrow. Our attorneys’ help thousands of people every year take advantage of their rights under bankruptcy protection to restart, rebuild and recover. The day you hire our firm, we will contact your creditors to stop the harassment. You can also find useful consumer information on the Kingcade & Garcia website at